Saturday, February 9, 2013

Makeup Detox Episode 1: Gabriel Foundation


Beauty & the Bibliophile

One of my New Year's goals (I hate making resolutions...) was to replace my products with natural alternatives as I used them up. Firstly, using something up entirely is really difficult for me! Am I the only one? It seems my loyalty is lacking, and my tendency to keep buying and hopping around is terrible! However, I'm almost done with my MAKE UP FOR EVER Mat Velvet foundation, which I love, but it scores a 5-6 on EWG's Skin Deep database. For starters, it contains parabens (studies have found many types of parabens in breast cancer tumors: un-metabolized by the body) and many other chemical ingredients I'd like to do without. So, when that's gone, I need another foundation. Many makeup purists will would rule out all liquid foundations, but I just don't know if I can give them up... 

Beauty & the Bibliophile

My first branch out into natural foundation was Gabriel Cosmetics' Liquid Foundation. I decided to do my shopping at Whole Body (the beauty/body care side to Whole Foods). I tried several brands on my hands or fore arms, and this was the most 'normal' consistency in there. That was a little disheartening. You all know how much I love Sephora, so I really wish they had more natural offerings. Even Tarte, Korres and Fresh sometimes have ingredients I don't agree with. So, I ventured out.


Beauty & the Bibliophile

I felt I was going out on a metaphorical-makeup-purchasing limb, since the cosmetic department lacked any marketing materials to explain what the purpose of this foundation was (other than the obvious normal use). It also does not come in a box or anything with print on it to "sell" it or promote its benefits. I can understand why: less packaging is green (and less expensive for the manufacturer). However, it left me feeling I was making a decision without all the vital deets. The associate that helped me match the shade said it should work for my oily skin, but she seemed unsure of herself. She also assured me I could return it if it didn't work out, and that sealed the deal!

Beauty & the Bibliophile

As you know, I'm as pale as it gets. So, I matched on the inside of my arm (her suggestion) to the Pale Ivory. The packaging is so-so. As you can see, it's frosted glass with a typical top. I honestly prefer a squeeze bottle, so I can get the most use. When I opened the tester in the store, the black square top came off the cap that screws on to the bottle, so I expected mine to do that over time. For $28, I typically prefer some sturdy and more inventive packaging.

Beauty & the Bibliophile

Beauty & the Bibliophile

It comes out very liquid-y. I'm used to my matte foundation being a bit thicker, so it was easy for me to dispense too much.

Beauty & the Bibliophile

When I got home with the product I went online to read about it and saw that it was truly meant mainly to moisturize, and I don't need that. (It does say it won't make skin oily...) I already use my Korres gel moisturizer under my primer, so a moisturizing foundation is too much. It also doesn't help keep the oily-ness down to a minimum.

Beauty & the Bibliophile

Beauty & the Bibliophile

 I spread this in and around using my fingers. I generally use a blending sponge to help it set on the surface of my skin, so I didn't love how it settled in the lines on my hands.

Beauty & the Bibliophile

When applied to my face it was more moisturizing than I would have preferred and the coverage didn't last all day as well as my MUFE does. I also became much shinier than usual. I know... natural makeup can do that! You might be asking yourself: "Are you looking for a miracle, Tara?!" Why, yes...

Because I wasn't "in-love" with it, I did end up returning it. And I appreciated how friendly the Customer Service associate at Whole Foods was! I had my eyes on some BB creams and other foundations I'd rather try, and considering foundations last for half a year with me, I want to make that investment with care. Knowing a BB cream will not give the coverage I want, I have purchased the Korres Mineral Foundation and have really loved how well it does over a tinted moisturizer (and the MUFE foundation). It (+ a BB cream) doesn't provide the perfect airbrushed look I want, but I think I will have to sacrifice that to keep toxins out of my body. (Or I will just have a long quest to discover what works)! But I am excited to let my skin breathe more and hopefully that will result in better skin that needs less coverage.

Have any of you discovered a natural alternative that meets all your needs? Share the wealth!

No comments:

Post a Comment